2019 03 14 11:16 OpenLVEM
Town Meeting 100 Participants
, akong, AlanWeinstein
, alexander.pace, AlexNitz
, Ashkar, AVS, Azadeh Keivani, Bernard Whiting, Bryan Miller, Cesar Rojas-Bravo, Clemens Hoischen, Colleen Wilson-Hodge, CoriFletcher
, dahowell [Andy Howell], Daniele Malesani, Daryl Haggard, David Williams UCSC, deep.chatterjee [h], Deivid, Didier, Dmitry Svinkin, Dong, Dorota, DougalDobie
, Douglas TUcker, Enrico Cappellaro, Eric, Erik Blaufuss- IceCube
, Ester Ruiz Morales, Fabian Schüssler, Francesco Verrecchia (AGILE), Giovanni Prodi, giulia stratta, Harsh_kumar, Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein, Hugo, iair arcavi, Igor Andreoni, jblakeslee, Jimmy_PSU, JoelM
, Juan Garcia-Bellido, katedalexander, katsavounidis, Keita Kawabe, Kerry Paterson, Kunal P. Mooley, lyapin, M. Drout, Majo, Manoj Kovalam, maria.bernardini, Marica Branchesi, marie anne bizouard, Martin Dyer, Matt Strait, mbianconi, mik cantiello, MLundquist, MonicaSeglar
, mvp, Nicolas Arnaud, NicolasLeroy
Phone, Nobu Kawai, patrick.brady, Paul Kuin, Pavel Minaev, Peter Shawhan, pittori, rkb, sarah.antier, Scott Barthelmy, Seo-Won, serveradmin from 127.0.0.1:43448, Shasvath Kapadia, sjsmartt, Stephan, Suraj Poolakkil, syang, TeamSpeakUser
[ANTARES/KM3NeT], Tom Callister [h], Tristano Di Girolamo, VarunBhalerao
, Vit Planocka, Volodymyr Savchenko1, warren.anderson[h], wheel, yjurata, Youdong HU, Yousuke Itoh, Yousuke Utsumi, zkr, Zsolt Paragi
- Welcome and Agenda
- Status of the instruments; Timeline on the ER14, and O3
- Slides https://dcc.ligo.org/G1900437/public
- Useful links to preserve:
- Questions/ideas on this scope to Lisa Barsotti <email@example.com>, Nicolas Leroy firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lock is faster on L1; include GEO, but not sensitivity (Manji from Stanford) –
- GEO's range is ~2 Mpc for binary neutron star mergers
- 'MDC' = Mock Data Challenge
- Slide3: Stability of Virgo vs. LLO and LHO
- Is the stable performance real? Can be real. Some variation in LIGO detectors due to the commissioning, but also glitches
- Locking: still learning how to use the instruments, and the instruments and the local sites are different
- Update on run performance and Public Alerts:
- Slides on Alerts for Today
- LIGO/Virgo Public Alerts User Guide
- David Williams: FAR
- The rate we anticipate putting out, leading to the 10% contamination
- "Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein" : hand up: Q: are there any plans for BURST MDC test alerts. This has been requested on the mailing list but I haven't seen any answer yet. ThX – Patrick: not planned; may try.
- Alex Nitz:
- 1) on terrestrial probability – how calculated for sources not yet observed? Patrick: Shasvath: conservative estimate. Alex: rates from upper limits? Possible to state the median rates at which we guess? Patrick We will document, almost ready.
- 2) differentiating different CBC sources. Chirp mass estimates? Patrick: won’t include that for now.
- "sjsmartt" : Hand up Q: Slide 4 clarification - does contamination of 10% (90% change of being real) equivalent to FAR ~ 1/2months ? Patrick: only know BBH rates so it completely dominates. So roughly right. Purity Rate is likely to be higher.
- Maurice Van Putten: suppose we see an unanticipated signal but one which is clearly of astrophysical origin? Patrick: We have pipelines for these transients. False rate is 1/year; a strong signal would be far longer. Also, watching EM/Particle signals to help tease out these sorts of events. More later on that. Also EM observers have put together searches that put our OPAs together with GW data. Working hard on covering this well!
- "Deivid" : hand up: will Healpix order for fits files in alert be NESTED or NUNIQ? Healpy does not seem to natively support NUNIQ? Patrick: please use the help link.
- A listing of conferences of interest to LIGO/Virgo/KAGRA, and also MMA topics, is maintained at https://wiki.ligo.org/LSC/UpcomingConferencesAndMeetings -- please let us know if there are meetings we should add and bring to the attention of the LVK Community.
- General questions/ideas on LVC-MMA communication and organization to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
-- Main.David - 2019-03-14